Cold Room Air Sterilization & Ethylene Reduction19 January 2017
Mold and bacteria can severely impact the quality of meat, chicken, fish, fruits & vegetables that may be stored or prepared in warehouses and cold rooms. Ethylene off-gassing causes fruits and vegetables to prematurely ripen & age, dramatically shortening shelf-life.
Sanuvox UV CoilCean IL systems are installed facing the cooling coil are designed to bask the coil and air with ultraviolet energy destroying microorganisms including bacteria, mold and viruses while oxidizing & reducing ethylene off-gassing.
Sanuvox UV CoilClean IL Muti-split
- Patented Sanuvox process sterilizes the cooling coil and airstream preventing and destroying bacteria, mold & viruses
- Destroy ethylene off-gassing which is a leading cause of premature aging of fruits & vegetables
- Easily retrofitted into pre-existing systems
- Available in lengths from 12″ to 60″
OBJECTIVE: Destroy airborne bio-chemical contaminants such as bacteria, viruses & mold that may affect the storage and preparation of fish, chicken and meat. Destroy ethylene off-gassing which causes produce to ripen faster extending shelf-life.
EQUIPMENT: IL MULTISPLIT units installed facing the cooling coils in the fan coil unit. Each IL unit includes a UVC/UVV lamp mounted in an anodized aluminum parabolic reflector. The ballast box incorporates LED status lights for providing lamp status & replacement (2 yrs.) and can be remotely monitored.
OPERATION: The fan coil unit recirculates the air, where:
1. The UVC germicidal section of the UV lamp destroys airborne biological contaminants (viruses, mold, bacteria and spores)
2. The UVV oxidizing section of the UV lamp reduces ethylene, slowing down the ripening process of vegetables and fruits. Coils remain clean and more energy efficient
SLOWING DOWN THE CONTAMINATION SPREAD WITH UVC
Produce will degrade due to the rotting process. Rotting is caused by parasitic fungi and mold. Food deterioration begins with the breakdown of the cellular tissue by enzymatic action that allows the growth of microbes. Germicidal UV (UVC) is extremely effective at preventing the reproduction of bio-contaminants. UVC destroys airborne fungi, molds and their spores, limiting the contamination spread from one fruit to another. Meat, fish & chicken are especially vulnerable to airborne biocontamination. UVC sterilizes the air destroying contaminants as they circulate within the cold room.
RETARDING THE RIPENING PROCESS WITH UVV
Photo-oxidation with UVV can be used to reduce chemicals that trigger the ripening of fruits and vegetables. The life stages of a plant are influenced by plant hormones. An organic compound involved with ripening is ethylene, a gas created by plants from the amino acid, methionine.
Ethylene increases the intracellular levels of certain enzymes in fruit and fresh-cut products, which include:
- Amylase, which hydrolyzes starch to produce simple sugars, and
- Pectinase, which hydrolyzes pectin, a substance that keeps fruit hard.
UVV oxidizes and thus neutralizes the ethylene molecules released by the ripening process, slowing down the spread of ripening to the surrounding produce.
This oxidation process breaks down ethylene into carbon dioxide and water vapor.
Ethylene C2H4 C2H4 + O* -> CO2 +H2O
- Extended shelf life for vegetables and fruits
- Sterilize airborne bacteria, viruses & mold
- Cleaner cooling coils – more energy efficient
- Low maintenance
- Lamp replacement every 2 years
- 15 years ballast warranty
- Cold storage rooms, groceries
- Meat, fish & chicken storage & preparation facilities
- Fruit and vegetable retailers
- Fruit and vegetable warehousing
- Fruit and vegetable transportation
Download Application pdf file